Sunday, January 29, 2012

On the move.

A week ago I got a letter through the door. It was from my letting agency. There were twenty three pages in the A4 envelope, but I only needed to read the first one. The lady who owned my flat wanted to move back in. I've to be out of here by April 10th.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit annoyed but sur' what can I do? My lease is up, and I can't exactly tell the owner to sit and swivel. But, the more I think about it, the more I realise it's an inconvenience at most.
Moving's not that big a deal for me. I've had a lot of practice. Since I went to college when I was 18, I've moved... oh... nine times? It's grand. The move itself can usually be done in two or three days. Prick over and back yourself with some stuff on your day off. Rope in a few friends, one with a car. Buy everyone a rake of pints for helping you. Tip to the nearest Tesco and buy teabags.
Spend the next week waking up in a strange bedroom in a state of panic.

I like where I live right now, though. I live in a nice wee flat twenty minute's walk from the city centre. I've a spare room and a sofa bed, handy for having friends over. And I've made it my own. I bought wee sets of shelves, throws for the sofa, put up photos and stuff. I'm kinda comfy.
The place is costing me a bomb, though. I could easily be paying £60, maybe £70 less a month somewhere else. I can afford to live here, I'm on a decent wage, though I can't help but feel every pound I pay in rent is a pound less I have towards a deposit for when I eventually get off my arse and buy a place.

BUT the place has changed me a bit. This is my first time living on my own and, since moving her a year or so ago, I've become more antisocial. I still go out, I still see people but I'm too content going home to my wee flat on my own and sitting in watching a DVD boxset. Fuck, it's what I'm doing right now. (Real Steel, just so you know.)

The last place I lived, when I first moved to Edinburgh, was great. I'd a sound flatmate I still see a fair bit. It was good having someone to talk to, someone to discuss the big issues with (Call of Duty MW2 vs Call of Duty World at War, blue label milk vs green label milk etc.). Someone to have a bottle of beer with at the end of the day. It's hard to say which I'm happier with, living alone or with a flatmate. But I think I was healthier, at least from a mental health perspective, living with someone. So maybe I'll start looking at the 'Property to share' section of Gumtree.

Anyway, that's what's happening in my life right now. Not the funniest stuff I've ever written, but I reckon it's important you folk know a bit about who's writing this crap. Just a humble grizzly bear-wrestling, devestatingly good looking optometrist who needs a new place to live.
G'dluck.

No comments:

Post a Comment