Sunday, February 19, 2012

Reckless.

I've a prepay electricity meter in my current flat. Was there when I first moved in. It has a wee USB stick type thing that I bring to my nearest shop, ask for a tenner to be put in it and, when I plug the stick back in, it beeps and adds credit to my meter.
Starved for excitement in my life, I let it run low this time, dangerously low. Went under a pound on Friday. Left work yesterday and it was down to forty pee. FORTY PEE. Came in last night and it was on twelve. I started to feel like James Bond, letting the timer run down as much as possible before stopping the bomb. Woke up this morning, TWO PEE left in the thing. I could endanger the freshness of my milk no more. I grabbed my stick (stop it, you) and made my way to the nearest shop (A newsagents, like, you can't stroll into a bakery and demand they top up your leccy. This time I went to the smaller Scotmid on Leith Walk.) I also bought eggs.
Came back to the flat. The clock was still blinking on my microwave, so I was safe. Opened the cupboard door, ONE PEE. One pee, people! If this was a film, the music would be going fucking mental. I jammed in the stick, the meter beeped and I had £15.01 credit. Three seconds later, that went down to £15 even. If this was a film, I'd go bang Halle Berry now. It wasn't. I didn't. No matter, I'd won.

But at what cost?


(Fifteen pounds.)

No comments:

Post a Comment